Gleanings
Links
Contact Us


Historic Pics

a History
1841 – 2007

Bayou Rouge Baptist Church was organized in 1841, four years before the Southern Baptist Convention came into existence. The original church building
was located on the southeast corner of Tanner Lane at its juncture with Old Bayou Rouge Road.

In 1858, the congregation of Bayou Rouge Baptist Church authorized the purchase of property in Evergreen and the present meeting house was erected soon thereafter. The 19.97 acres of land extends on both sides of Church Street and contains the cemetery in front of the present meeting house as well as the one at the back. The current meeting house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Of the twenty charter members of Bayou Rouge Baptist Church , eight were African Americans. With the leadership of devout pastors and lay men and women, the congregation grew in number and in outreach to the communities within the Church's sphere of ministry. Over the years, Bayou Rouge Baptist Church sponsored the establishment of twelve churches in Louisiana as well as sponsoring two missionary couples to Brazil. Of the twelve local churches in Louisiana , six have survived the demographic revolution of the rural South.

Despite the catastrophic War Between the States, devastating floods, economic depressions and diminishing membership, Bayou Rouge Baptist Church has continued to proclaim the Gospel, it's missionary fervor unabated.

Based Upon A History Composed By
Mrs. Alice Wright Porter


 
2009 BayouRouge.net